Thursday, September 2, 2010

Smell of Tibet


My monastry map.
DSC_1129

Around Leh I visited quite a few monasteries. For the last trip I received from the local guide a hand drawn and very detailed map of the most interesting monasteries West of Leh as well suggestion about the best home stay in every village. Every monastery was located in the distance of one day hike from each other.

The second night of the trek I stayed in Mangyue with the family that was taking care about the very monastery and they had keys to some additional monastery rooms which are usually not available for tourists.

Books, very old books.
DSC_1366
In one of the rooms I came across amazing collection of old books. This was the first time that I was exposed so closely too old books. I could smell their age, I could fell them with every of my senses. I really imagine that Tibet has to smell a bit similar. I hope I will manage to visit Tibet one day.


The last afternoon I reached Rizong Monastery in early afternoon. I could stay in a small guest room directly in the monastery. Just below the monastery there was a school for young monks. They had a break in their lessons and they were playing volleyball outside their school so I joined them. When they were called back to school for their next lesson I was also invited by the teacher.

Lesson of Tibetan language.
DSC_1539
They had a lesson of writing in Tibetan. Tibetan letters seem to me more like drawing then writing - very beautiful. During the lesson I was talking a bit with their teacher, and I was offered to read some Tibetan literature.

There were two things that I especially loved:

Quotation from Albert Einstein: " If there is any religion that could cope with modern scientific needs it will be Buddhism."


And short poem by Wongchunk Dorjee, one of graduate from the Buddhist school:

Don'ts and Dos

"Don't wait for the sun to rise" my father said
"Light the candle and proceed"

"Don't wait for the door to be open" my mother said
"Knock at the door and call"

"Don't wait for tomorrow" my teacher said
"Do it today"

"Don't wait for freedom" my leader said
"Straggle for it"

"Don't wait for other's help" my grandpa said
"Try to do it yourself"

"Don't wait for everything" my grandma said
"Try to do something"

1 comment:

  1. Hi Dude,

    Nice video! Tibet meets the expectations of all types of travelers. Tibetn cultures are diverse and range, and the result is unique in its own way. Tibetan culture is characterized by a high degree of syncretism and cultural pluralism. Thank you...

    Tibet Travel

    ReplyDelete