Saturday, October 23, 2010

Bangkok


CSC_5149
There are many gold Buddha in Bangkok.
For some people Bangkok is ultimate party place, but I was exhausted after my stay in Kolkata and I did not feel like jumping into night life of Bangkok. I had to set up few things for my future travel, I wanted to sight-see a bit and hit a road for the my next destinations.

My hiking boots got completely ruined so the most important aim in Bangkok was to get a new ones. I had looked around a bit in India already... but there was always a problem with the proper size for me. Since most of people in Asia are on average much smaller than me, I expected that finding proper shoes size might be a challenge. In Bangkok I went to a first hiking shop asking for the biggest boots and surprisingly, they were too big! So I manage to solve the shoe problem very fast. I hope that they will last a bit longer than my previous ones.

There are quite a few striking differences between Bangkok and Indian big cities that I visited. First of all it was quiet. No one was using horn on the street. Bangkok is also much cleaner, no one is throwing trashes on the street and there are some dustbins around!!! Also the street food in Bangkok is brought to another higher level than in India. Very tasty, one can not resist.


CSC_5154
Wat Arun.

Bangkok is also offering quite a few places to see. Grand Palace and quite a few fantastic Buddhist temples, which difference a lot in the style from what I have seen in India. My favorite temple was Wat Arun.

Thailand is a monarch, and one have to be careful here not to step on the coin. On every coin there is a face of the king and if one step on the money then one can get imprisoned. His Majesty is on the throne for more than 60 years. For his 60 years anniversary he received many presents from his nation, which are on exhibition in one of his palace. I have to say many of those things are great masterpieces. I had two my favorite pices. A gold model of the Sri Suphannahongse Royal Barge - which was crafted mostly in gold by 108 artisans in 2 years and 9 months and amazing Wood-Carved Screen (69 artisans in 10 months). I think that not many other monarchs would be able to afford such a masterpieces nowadays.

No comments:

Post a Comment