Wednesday, October 20, 2010

My Incredible India

I spent in India two and a half months (I could not stay longer because of short visa) but now there are more places in India that I would like to see than before my travel. I have a feeling that I only had a small bit from this oriental tasty cake. I started my trip from spending few days in Kashmir. This region is very difficult to travel. Many Kashmir people are dreaming about their own independent country. The day that we left Kashmir serious riots started and are continuing all the time.

The longest time I spent in Ladakh, breathtaking Himalaya region, and still I hope to go back there one day since there are few things that I did not see and few others that I would love to see again. From there I went east (Rishikesh, Agra, Varanasi) but I omitted the colorful Rajasthan, which for sure I would love to see. Finally I stayed in Green Part of Himalaya, in Sikkim, where I redefine the definition of green and got completely soaked.


India is an ultimate destination for budget backpacker. In all the places that I traveled I manage to find very cheap accommodation in the range of 80-250Rs with the average cost of 150Rs (2.5Euro). For this price one should not expect a room with the separate bathroom, but I was only once bitten by the bedbugs.

Food can also be very cheap if one is willing to eat what local people are eating. Of course western food in restaurant is more expensive, but I taste the best local food on the street stands. My favorite street food I come across in Darjeeling. But there is something strange in the air in India. It seems that all my trousers and belt got wider.

In India there is a fantastic and cheap train service. There are great to cover long distances in night trains. Transport all over can be very cheap if one is using the way of transport as the local people and have some time to spare for it. Local buses are slow and usually overcrowded, but they always managed to get me to the final destination.

I hope that my stories from India will convince some of you to come here one day.

Photos from my travel in India you can see here.

No comments:

Post a Comment