Sunday, January 23, 2011

Coconut hunt


CSC_2962
Successfully opened coconut.
On the Ko Tao I want for a day hike with Steffan. We climbed the mountain on the island and reached a beach on the other side. Snorkeling was not particularly good since there was quite a bit of wind and waves. On the way back I noticed a palm tree and thought about getting a coconut from the palm tree. There were some stones lying around so I started to throw in direction of coconuts. Palms are usually really tall and coconuts are far from the earth surface. On one hand one needs to take heavy stone to have enough weight to knock down the coconut on the other hand the stone has to be light enough to be able to reach the coconut.
After some adjustments I managed to aim fairly good at the coconut but for long time I was not able to produce enough force to knock down a coconut. Finally after 20 minutes I managed to knock down one and after few more attempts the next one.
Knocking down the coconut was just the first step- one also had to open it somehow. We tried different attempts. Throwing it against the rock, throwing rocks against the coconut and using rocks as a hammer and nail. I guess the combination of all those approached allowed us to succeed initially to crack the coconut and to drink the coconut milk and later to open it fully to enjoy the coconut itself. It was a great coconut. I guess this was a first lesson how to survive on the abundant island.

1 comment: