Thursday, March 10, 2011

Being tall in Asia.

In the bus in Bangkok.
Usually there are great advantages from being tall. One has a broad perspective, one can notice more things around, others would notice you much easier. Asian people on average are shorter than Europeans, so some of the challenges and disadvantages of being tall are much more pronounced here than elsewhere.
It is very often that I had to bend my back and be very carefully while waking on the street or entering any kind of doors not to hit with my forehead. The most scary was one local restaurant in India were the big vets were on the height of my eyes!!!

Also transport is more challenging. In Sikkim they always squeeze unbelievable number of people into a jeep and sometimes I had to put my legs almost over my neck. Even I can not really stand straight in a Bangkok public bus!!!
Few times I came across too short bed in a guest house. Luckily the night trains in India have no limitation for the legs and when I usually used the upper berth my legs could freely hang in the corridor.
There is also a challenge with the shower where I had to do gymnastic and bend a lot in order to watch my head on the shower which was attached at the height of 1,50.

1 comment: