Thursday, March 10, 2011

Poland in Asia

Not many people in North India, Cambodia and Laos know where Poland is. In Laos they asked me where are you from?
-"Poland"
-"France"
-"No, I am from Poland"
-"Yes, France"
-"Oki, I can be from France" (Laos was French colony).

In other countries they thought that I am from Holland (they are much better in Soccer than Polish team). Situation was a bit different in Thailand and Indonesia, where they knew Poland.
In Indonesia I met a guy in a tourist information, who after me saying that I an from Poland, he told me: "I had an uncle in Poland"-pointing at his moustache.
"Oh really?"
"But he is not my uncle any more, he is not ruling any more, his name is Lech Walesa"
Great joke on the other side of the world.
Apparently Lech Walesa is a very famous figure and a hero for Indonesian independence movement.

From other travelers I also learnt a very interesting things about Poland. From the Spanish guy that biked from Spain to Laos I learnt that biking across Poland was great experience and there is apparently the best biking road across the whole country that he came across on his way. From the Belgium couple I heard that hitchhiking in Poland was unforgivable experience during which they were invited to spend a night in the house of the people that gave them a lift. Both stories were a great surprise for me.

And in Cambodia I met Josephine who loves Łódź (you can read it about this here).

No comments:

Post a Comment