Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Adventurous bus trip in Paraguay

CSC_3381
Paraguay women.
As a first stop in Paraguay I planned to stop at the Jesuit's ruins which were four - five hours away by bus from the Brazil-Paraguay boarder. But before getting to the bus station I need to fulfilled the usually, first quest after entering new country. Luckily this time I was much more successful than in Brazil. It took me only 1h to find working cash machine that would accept the Deutsche Bank maestro card. I was very happy from this success and I proceed to the bus station. On the way I met one Peruvian fellow and I had my first semi-Spanish conversation. I hardly could understands him, but at the end he invited me to his place in Peru....


Finally I got to the bus station and got on the local bus. The bus was going on the Latin-American time, so we left half an hour after the schedule.

After two hours our bus stopped and it steamed a lot from the engine. Apparently there was not enough water in radiator. We stopped in kind of middle of nowhere. The driver collected some empty bottles from the passengers and stopped a first coming motorcycle and went to search for water. It took half an hour but luckily the bus started.

After an hour we stopped again. I noticed few boxes at the back of the bus.... We stopped on the side of the road, next to the big lorry, and the few local people started to unpack the boxes with cigarettes. And seriously they occupated one-third of the bus and filled the whole truck of cigarettes. Than I recalled that on the way we were stopped twice by the police who was checking the luggage compartment of the bus, but they never got inside.

Finally, much later than I planned I arrived to the first ruins....

No comments:

Post a Comment