Monday, May 16, 2011

Rio de Janeiro

CSC_9849
Island close to Rio coverd in clouds.
After the marathon carnival in Salvador and Recife I took a night flight to Rio. I hardly remember anything from the Recife airport or the flight. I arrived at the airport, check in, found my gate and immediately fell asleep. I set up my alarm clock for boarding but someone woke me up. I entered the plane and immediately fell asleep again.
I guess this was the first flight where I do not remember either landing or starting. I landed in Rio in the morning with this great feeling that after 6 days in Brazil I would be able to sleep the second night. In Rio I planned to stay with my friends from Dresden Livia, Magno, Hugo and Arthur. The day that I arrived they were visiting Magno's parents but I was able to get keys to their apartment and to sleep, sleep, sleep. It was such a great feeling to be able to get to vertical position after one of the greatest showers!!! So, if you dream about incredible shower - go to Rio ;)

CSC_9844
Part of my Rio family.
Magno and Livia were living next block to the Livia parents, but they were living so close that it seemed that there are living in the same home. And despite of the language barrier I felt like a part of their community. It was also a great time of scientific-philosophical discussions with Magno. This was a very special time for them since Livia and Magno were preparing to move to Brasilia to capital of the country, since Magno was offered a great position up there. Good luck in the capital.

Rio is a unique city. Beautiful, trapped in between green hills. In few minutes from the city center one can reach green, jungle like hils. One day we went "to take shower" up the hill. There was a small waterfall with clean and very refreshing water. Apparently is the custom for my hosts and among some other Rio people to drive up the hill and take shower up there. I love the concept of taking shower under waterfall.

The other day I joined barbecue organized by Lulae, Livia's brother in order to celebrate birthday of his girlfriend - Barbara. After spending couple years in Germany I really thought that it is a really country of barbecue with all steaks and different kinds of sausages. I had to change my opinion after the first Brazilian barbecue. Instead of the sausages they served the red meat was only placed in thick grain salt, and than placed over fire. In few minutes without adding any spices nor any ketchup or mustard, one was placing the red meat in the mouth, which was simply dissolving there and saturating every taste receptor. If you ever have a chance to taste it - do it. It is even said that the meat in Argentina is even better than the one in Brazil. I can not imagine that this might be even better, but I hope to test it during my next trip to South America.

In Rio the carnival looks much different than the one in Salvador and Recife. The main carnival event is the world famous content of samba schools on the sambodrome. This is great show, but just a show. In Rio one can also join the Blocks - small carnivals party in different city districts where people are following tracks. I still believe that the carnival in Recife is the best one.

And the time that I was leaving Rio, we did small MPI re-union since Mageli also showed up in Rio!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment