Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Bolaven Plateau – Land of Coffee and Waterfalls


CSC_8965
Coffee, coffee, coffee...
Do you know the taste of condense milk? This taste always reminds me my childhood. You know long, long time ago there were no sweets and no chocolate in Poland and almost the only sweet thing available was the tube of condense milk. There was also an upgrade of condense milk with the taste of chocolate. Sometimes on Saturdays we were going shopping to Rynek Balucki in Lodz with my mother and sister, and from time to time on the way back my mum.... bought us a tube of condense milk each. Of course there was a temptation to eat the whole tube of condense milk straightaway, but usually I was dosing the milk for days. Hhmmmm, condense milk is sooooooo good.


I was surprised that in Cambodia and Lao there were adding the condense milk to the coffee. But I have to tell you, it taste GREAT.

Apparently on Bolaven Plateau they are growing the best coffee in Laos, and I was lucky enough to be in this region when they were collecting the coffee from the bushes. It looked like this:



The Plateau is also quite amazing. It is like elevated shelve. Lisu does not like going up the mountains, so we hitchhike with Lisu to the highest point of Plateau, and then we slowly make our way down.


CSC_8949
First hitchhike with Lisu.
My first hitchhiking experience with Lisu was much more than encouraging. In Laos people are using mostly motorbikes, but if they can afford a car, they are buying a small track. On the roads there are almost no passenger cars. We waited less than 5 minutes on the road to the top of the Bolaven Plaeau. The second coming track already stopped, but it was going in other direction, and we jumped at the back of the fifth track. It was late and on the way I could appreciate beautiful sunset. And I have to say, I love traveling at the back of the lorries. Wind in the hair, one can sit or stand and appreciate Beautiful views.


CSC_9000
Ladder to waterfall heaven.
I had also an opportunity to appreciate waterfalls coming from “the shelve”. I also swam under one of them. It is great fun to swim under waterfall; you always have to fight with water especially if you want to get closer to waterfall.

On the way down from Bolavean Plaeau I was invited for local wedding.

CSC_8939
Young monk.
Quite a few gusts there were completely drunk, so I did not stay too long. When it was getting dark I arrived to the village where I finally could spend a night at the monastery. One of the monks spoke some English, so he was very happy to practice English with me. My monks were very young: 12-16 years old and they were at the monastery already for 3-6 years. We all slept in one room and I had some problem falling asleep since they left the main light on for the whole night, but apparently this is their local custom.

1 comment:

  1. Wow! These waterfalls are beautiful and it seems like you are having a time of your life! Safe travels, M

    ReplyDelete