Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Looking inside our planet 1 - climbing Gunung Sibayak volcano.


CSC_6205
Sulphur in the crater.
One of the aims in Indonesia was to climb a volcano. I went to Berastagi from where one can climb two volcanoes: Gunung Sibayak and Gunung Sinabung. The first day I climbed Gunung Sibayak (smaller volcano) on my own.


This is very easily accessible volcano. I have chosen Sunday for this trip so the volcano path as well as the peak was a bit crowded with the local hikers. The path was easy and going only for a short time through the jungle. And the top was... Very smoky, quite stinky and very loud. In many places the earth was realizing the "internal pressure" by realizing loud and smoky gasses.


CSC_6225
The worst job?
There was also one local person that was collecting the sulfur from the crater. I really would not like to have a job like this... I guess it is one of the most shity jobs I came across. This was my first ever climb to volcano and I did not really knew what to expected. The experience on the volcano is very much different to the experience on the mountain. When you climb mountain it is usually quite, very fresh air and if the weather permits there is a amazing view. On my first volcano it was very loud, very stinky and I was not lucky to have a nice view. I guess on volcanoes one have to be extremely lucky to have a nice view since volcano itself can be a cloud producer. On the way back I swam in hot springs.

No comments:

Post a Comment