Sunday, July 24, 2011

Isla Ometepe

SSC_0448
On the way to Isla Ometepe.
I moved straight to Nicaragua from Panama. I did not want to stay in Costa Rica since I heard that it was the most expensive country in Central America and it was predominant holiday destinations for Americans. So as fast as possible I moved to Nicaragua. In the bus I decided that I want to visit Isla Ometepe.


SSC_0445
Isla Ometepe
SSC_0454
Travel mates on Isla.
SSC_0452
Drinking water straigh from bike!!!
It was a very beautiful and specific island. It was located on a sweet water lake (where there are sharks!!!) and is built from two volcano, where one of them is active. On the slow boat I met four interesting people. A couple from USA, but the guy had Indian origin, and Norwegian  girl and German guy. The next day we went together to experience the island on the bikes. We rented old bikes. We visited few interesting beaches, swim in the lake waters... but we did not manage to see any shark. I wanted to take some additional water with us. But I did not wanted to put it into my rucksack I wanted to attached to it to the bicycle. I took a duck tape and tape it there. It worked very nicely, especially if you have great companions that can help you by pooling the bike over you when you are thirsty! I would even say that the water drunk like this is even more delicious! In the afternoon we went for delicious fish dinner in a small village. Since it was getting late we put our bicycles into the bus and came back to our starting point.

This island reminded me a bit my beloved Samosir Island on Lake Toba in Sumatra, Indonesia.



2 comments: