Thursday, July 14, 2011

Majestic peaks of Cordillera Blanca.

SSC_9830
Cordillera Blanca.
In those one of the most beautiful mountains around the world, I had only three hiking days before I had to go back to Lima for my dentist visit. So I decided to use this time as much as possible and to go for three different day hikes.

First day arrived in Caraz and I went to explore the neighbouring peak. There was a beautiful view from there to the white peaks of Andes. On the way back I decided to follow a small path to the road. I walked through steep and downhill fields. Initially I followed the small path but after two or three kilometers even more challenging road started and my path disappear somewhere.
CSC_5307
Luckily I managed to avaid sitting on it..
I met a local farmer asked about the road and he pointed the way down. So I followed his advice despite of the lack of any path. I did not feel like going back up. The most challenging stretch was a steep climb down with many cactus plants around... I was very lucky to have my rain jacket with me, with GLOVES in one of the pocket. Do you recall those Disney cartoons where Donald Duck sit down on the cactus? It almost happened to me few times on this road. The path was very steep and very slippery that the main aim was to make sure that when I am loosing the balance there is no cactus below my backside.

Finally I found new path going down and I followed it. I passed through a small farm, where the young farmer got a bit surprised seeing me. We talked shortly and he gave me two delicious oranges from straight from his tree. From this spot there was an easy walk to the main road and to the city.

SSC_9832
Lagoon 69
For the second day in Andes I decided to visit Lagoon 69. I asked few people about the reason of naming this lagoon with the most sexy number, but I did not find any answer. I think the reason is it is so sexy beautiful....
I hiked there with all my backpack, since in the evening I wanted to get to the Huaraz and I would not have sufficient time to come back. There was also no spot for me to leave it anywhere on the way, so I ended up caring all my belongings with me in my new backpack. Since my rucksack got broken during Salkantay trek, I had swapped it with my sister one, when she went back home.

SSC_9831
On the way to Lagoon 69.
I took the earliest possible transport to lagoon and I hiked up. WOW. After reaching the lagoon I had to almost redefine my own definition of the colour blue. The water was so intensely blue. It was much more blue that any other water I had ever seen before!!!! Additionally it was surrounded by white peaks of Andes!!!!

On the way down I came across also a green lagoon and then I hitchhiked manged to get a lift at the my favourite place ever, at the back of the truck. It was a great place to observe the sun set over the snow cap peaks of Andes. The only small inconvenience was that the road was very bumpy so I was jumping up and down at the back of the track. Finally my backside that did not got injured the day before by cactus got some bruises from this ride. But nevertheless I seriously love lifts at the back of pick ups.

SSC_9835
Lagoon Churup.
The last day I spent hiking to the lagoon Churup. This hike involved some very interesting climbing. And again the final destinations was a amazingly beautiful and rewarding all the afford to get this spot.

I spent only three days in Andes, but I have to admit that this part of the world is breathtaking beautiful. Most likely I would decided to come back to this place after the dentist appointment in Lima, but on the way down from those day hikes I started to feel some pain in my knee. So I decided that it is better to go to north Peru now. But one day I will come back to Andes.

No comments:

Post a Comment