Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Machu Picchu - "Lost City of the Incas"

CSC_4821
Lamas in Machu Picchu.
After four days of Salkantay trek and one day rest in Aquas Caliente, we reached magical located Lost City of the Incas. It is situated above a loop of the Urubamba River, which surrounds the site on three sides, with cliffs dropping vertically.


CSC_4803

My sister and me wanted to climb Huayna Picchu which was a montain above Machu Picchu and allowed to have a great view over the whole side. Every day there was a limited number of people that are allowed to climb Huayna Picchu. We walked up very early and 4.30 we were already at the main gates. Shortly after we started to climbed the hill till the main entrance of Machu Picchu. This walk took over one hour, it was very steep and one had to cover it relatively fast. I was impressed how fast we (with my sister) managed to climbed it!!! We reached the top definitely on time to get entrance stamp to Huayna Picchu.
CSC_4815
Inca princess in Machu Picchu


CSC_4805I did not have too many expectations about Machu Picchu, but that morning when I reached this side with my sister, "The Lost Inka City" and moreover the surrounding hills, made a huge impression on me. The archaeological side is relatively big but the most impressive was a symbiotic relation between the ruins and surrounding hills. They seriously fit to each other. All the walls seamed to be growing up from this mountain. Thanks to a relatively early hour we were able to walk around the city without too many people around. Before the midday we climbed the neighbors hill, Huayna Picchu and appreciate the whole view below.

CSC_4817
View from Huayna Picchu

In the afternoon we walked down to Aguas Caliente and repeated the trek along the train tracks to hydroelectric plant. This time we all enjoyed this time much more since it was not dark, was not raining. It is a simply beautiful surrounding. From hydroelectric plant we catch a collectivo to Santa Marta and Santa Teresa. And then the overnight bus to Cusco. We were very tired so we slept very tight in this bus.
CSC_4826
Rest during train track trek.
On the road we encounter the police check. I walked up for the moment and I noticed that the police guy is checking a small rucksack of a local guy in front of me. He pulled a package wrapped in a black foils of the film sized cocaine package and left the bus without arresting this person. Moreover the local guy gave the package very calmly without any discussions. Initially I thought that it was my night dream but my sister and cousin also saw this same thing... Strange. Strange.

1 comment: